A quick guide to the Halls of Valor dungeon from World of Warcraft: Legion
Dragonflight season 1 is underway, and that means it’s time to push some keys! However, this season is different from the last few expansions because some of the dungeons are brand new, and some are updates of old dungeons. While I plan on making a guide for all the dungeons, in this one, we’ll look at Halls of Valor and talk about how to find the dungeon’s entrance, give you a quick strategy for each boss, and answer a few common questions.
How to Get to Halls of Valor in Dragonflight
Halls of Valor is located in Stormheim — the easternmost zone on the Broken Isles. The best way to get there in Dragonflight season 1 is to take the Dalaran portal found near the bank in Valdrakken.
To get to Halls of Valor from Orgrimmar or Stormwind, you can take the portal to Valdrakken and then to Dalaran, or you can take the portal to Azsuna and then fly to Stormheim.
Both options work, but the Valdrakken portals will get you there quickest.
Where is the Halls of Valor dungeon Entrance?
The Halls of Valor entrance is located inside the large building on the east side of Stormheim around /way 72.5, 70.4. Once you enter the building, you’ll see the meeting stone directly ahead and entrances for two instances on either side.
Make sure to take the correct instance portal — the one on your left after you enter the building — since the other one is a raid entrance.
Halls of Valor Boss Guide
There are five bosses in Halls of Valor. To help you in Dragonflight season 1, I will provide a quick one to two-sentence strategy for each boss. Whether you are new to the game or need a refresher on mechanics, this should give you a basic understanding of what you need to know to survive each encounter.
- Hymdall – Don’t stand in swirlies or spinning blades. When the boss uses Horn of Valor, look at the edges of the platform for drakes, then move before they bombard the platform with lightning.
- Hyrja- Stand under the purple bubble and pop personal defensives when the boss is channeling lightning. Move out of the group when you have a yellow circle, don’t get hit with balls, and avoid the boss’s straight-line frontal (Shield of Light).
- Fenryr- Stack loosely stacked until the boss targets party members with Ravenous Leap, then spread. Stop casting during howl, run when fixated, and make sure to soak the large red circle swipe from the boss.
- God-King Skovald – Tank pick’s up the shield that drops after defeating the four minibosses and uses the extra action button during Skovald’s Ragnarok cast. Hide behind the wall until the boss finishes his cast. Otherwise, kill adds and move out of the group when targeted by the green circle.
- Odyn – Avoid ground swirls and balls. Run out of large stomp boss casts after pulling you in. Kick and kill adds as soon as they spawn. When the boss marks you with a colored “brand,” pop personal defensives and move to the corresponding circle on the floor (avoid any other colors because they will kill you).
Halls of Valor Dungeon Tips
Your first few times in any dungeon can be rough. Not only do you need to learn the best route, but you are also trying to figure out what every mob does and how to stay alive.
Here are a few tips that can hopefully help make your life a little easier in Halls of Valor:
Tip 1: Learn the dungeon
One of the first things I recommend, as you start out, is to find an in-depth guide. If you have time, the best guides walk you through the entire dungeon, including trash pulls and abilities. In my opinion, the best guides are the ones by Tactyks, like this advanced routing guide.
If you don’t have time to watch the video, here are a few tips that might help you:
- Tanks can avoid damage by back peddling/strafing mobs throughout the dungeon (specifically for Champions, Shieldmaidens, and Steeljaw Grizzlies).
- DPS and healers should avoid standing near the tank when possible since there are several frontal abilities in Halls of Valor.
- Fenryr’s jump can be canceled by several classes like rogue, hunter, or mage by stepping out before the jump and then using an ability like vanish while the boss is jumping at you.
- Help your healer out by kicking Thundercallers and Mystics throughout the dungeon.
- You can use the beer mug you find on the table before going to the final boss on the King Tor miniboss to fight two at a time (watch the video around 25:25 to see how to do this).
- Try to bait spears on Odyn’s fight on the edges of the room to make it easier to dodge orbs. Grab a weakaura to help with Runic Brand (see next tip).
Tip 2: Download helpful addons and weakauras
If you haven’t done so yet, you should grab some helpful addons and weakauras.
For addons, I recommend you pick up Deadly Boss Mods or LittleWigs. Either one will work by telling you what abilities are coming up.
On the weakaura side of things, you’ll need to download the WeakAuras addon first. From there, you can import auras by typing /wa into your chat box in the game, then click Import at the top of the window.
Then, head over to any of the following wago.io links and click the “Copy Import String” button. From there, you can simply paste that into your weakaura window, and you are ready to go.
Here are the weakauras I recommend for Halls of Valor:
- Runic Brand Helper – Helps you find the right color for the Odyn fight
- M+ SuperDF Dungeons – WA with spells for every dungeon
Tip 3: Download the Mythic Dungeon Tools (MDT) addon
Mythic Dungeon Tools is a must-have addon for mythic plus. It allows you to see a dungeon map and the location of every enemy you’ll encounter on your run. If you right-click an enemy, you can also see their abilities.
However, one of MDT’s most powerful features is the ability to create and import routes. Dratnos, a World of Warcraft creator, posts routes for every dungeon on raider.io, but you can create your own by left-clicking enemies and then clicking “Add pull” on the right to create a new group.
Hopefully, this gave you a little bit of an idea of what to expect for your first run of Halls of Valor. If you like this dungeon guide format, feel free to check out my guides for the other dungeons:
- Algeth’ar Academy
- Court of Stars
- Ruby Life Pools
- Shadowmoon Burial Grounds
- Temple of the Jade Serpent
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Halls of Valor is a dungeon from the World of Warcraft: Legion expansion.
You can find the entrance to Halls of Valor on the east side of Stormheim on Broken Isles.